Thursday

Roxanne's Law

OTTAWA - A Conservative MP wants to make it a crime to threaten or intimidate a woman into having an abortion.

Winnipeg MP Rod Bruinooge says his bill, "Roxanne's Law," is necessary to communicate to the public that coercing or attempting to coerce a female to have an abortion is unacceptable.

Bruinooge became interested in the issue after hearing about Roxanne Fernando, a young woman who was murdered by a friend of her partner after refusing to have an abortion in 2007.

Bruinooge said his bill does not re-open the abortion debate and abortions will still be legal. http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2010/04/15/13594941-qmi.html

http://roxanneslaw.ca/QuestionsandAnswers.html

The following is a message I sent to this MP.

I'm curious if it's too late to add to or amend this bill and if it is, would it not be worth proposing a similar law regarding coercing women into giving their child up for adoption, or perhaps even go as far as to make it illegal to pressure or coerce a women into keeping and raising an unwanted child. I believe all three scenarios exist and can have life long or, in Roxanne's case, life threatening consequences for all parties involved.

I guess it should be illegal to pressure a woman to do anything regarding her pregnancy, period.


Hmmm... I now don't know what to think of this idea. It's been presented by a pro-lifer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to flag your comment PRIVATE. I realize commenting can be intimidating so if you have something to say to me you'd rather not have published you're welcome to do so, just make sure you let me know it's private. If you want a reply, leave your email address.

I'm also completely fine with good anonymous comments. I've seen some great ones!